The holiday season is a wonderful time of year to enjoy time with family and friends. Baking cookies, watching movies by the fireplace, and decorating the Christmas tree are some of my favorite components of this time of year. Another defining characteristic of the holiday season is the fun outdoor decorations. This blog will give some ideas for decorating your fence during Christmas.
1. Hang Wreaths and Garland
Wreaths come in all sorts of designs and styles so you can find the perfect ones to fit your personal preferences. Once you have chosen your desired wreaths you can start to hang them from your fence. Whether you want just one wreath on the gate or several wreaths around the whole yard, here are some ways to hang them:
- Adhesive Hooks: Clean and dry the surface before you apply the adhesive hook to improve the adhesive’s grip and keep it secure. Once the hook is securely attached to the fence, hang your wreath. If necessary, you can add another hook at the bottom for additional support.
- Nylon Fishing Line: Depending on the fence, you can tie one end of the fishing line to the fence and the other around the garland. You can also tie the fishing line to an adhesive hook if you have a type of fence that doesn’t have an easy point to tie the line around it.
- Tie Ribbon or Twine: Similar to using a nylon fishing line, you can use a ribbon or twine to hang your wreaths. Simply loop one end of the ribbon through the center of your wreath and secure it by making a knot with both ends of the ribbon. You can attach it to a hook or the fence itself.
Along with wreaths, you can hang garlands around your fence. You can add embellishments to make your garland more intricate, including things like pinecones and red berries. Depending on your preference, you can lay the garland flush along the top of the fence or have it slightly hang down in “U” shapes. You can even add lights to the garland to show it off at night.
2. Create Designs With Christmas Lights
Speaking of lights, adding Christmas lights to your fence can easily add to the Christmas spirit. Christmas lights come in all sorts of colors and designs, so you can find lights that match the exact aesthetic you want. You can hang icicle lights for a cooling effect or a variety of colors for a nostalgic and cozy effect. You can also create shapes from the lights like stars, candy canes, Santa’s sleigh, and more.
3. Hang Ornaments for Decorating Your Fence
Ornaments can be great decorations for more than just your Christmas tree. Ornaments can be a stylish decoration for your fence. You can create an ornament garland by stringing a series of large, shatterproof ornaments on a sturdy wire or fishing line. You can also hang clusters or individual ornaments from a fishing line to add festive touches throughout your yard. Decorating your fence and tree has never been so efficient!
4. Flat Decorations
Adding flat decorations to your fence for Christmas is a creative way to infuse holiday spirit into your outdoor space. Flat decorations are easy to install, can withstand various weather conditions, and offer a wide range of design options. Here are some types of flat decorations you can consider for your Christmas fence decor:
- Christmas Signs: Hang or mount wooden or metal signs with festive messages like “Merry Christmas,” or “Welcome Santa.” These signs come in a large variety of styles and fonts to match your preference and other outdoor decor.
- Festive Banners: String Christmas banners along your fence, featuring holiday motifs, such as reindeer, snowflakes, or ornaments. You can choose from fabric, paper, or burlap banners to suit your style.
- Fence Wraps: Cover the entire fence or sections of it with decorative fence wraps made of weather-resistant materials. These wraps often depict scenes like snowy landscapes, Santa’s workshops, or nativity scenes.
- Metal Cutouts: Decorate your fence with flat metal cutouts of holiday symbols like Christmas trees, stars, or angels. These cutouts can be left plain or painted in festive colors.
These are just some of the ways you can decorate your fence for Christmas this year. Make sure your fence is clean before adding any decorations to ensure no debris is in the way. Whether you have a vinyl fence, aluminum fence, or wood fence, your yard can be a magical Christmas oasis during the holiday season with simple decorations.