When choosing a fence for your yard, there are multiple things that you should consider to ensure that you find the right type and style. Here are some pointers to consider when choosing the right fence for your yard:
Think of Reasons Why
- Are you looking get a fence for your yard for a specific reason? Perhaps you would like a privacy fence to keep neighbors eyes out of your business. Or you want a fence to keep your children and dogs inside your yard for their safety. Or other safety reasons, such as a fence around a pool? There are lots of reasons as to why a fence is not only wanted, but also needed for a home.
The Potential Added Value
- Having a nicely finished fence yard will increase the value of your home, and also add curb appeal. When you need your home appraised or are looking to sell your home, a nice finished fence is a great added value.
What Kind of Fences Are There?
There are lots of different kinds of fences to consider, such as a security fence, a safety fence, or decorative fence:
- Security Fence– A security fence is much like a privacy fence. You want to be able to keep people out of your yard and off your property. One of the things you will want to consider to ensure if you’re thinking of a security fence is to make sure it is difficult for someone to climb. Other factors would be smooth sides with no foot holds, and the tops to be spiked, making it difficult for anyone to climb over.
- Safety Fence– A safety fence is meant for keep the occupants and pets inside safe, and to keep other dangers like wildlife, outside. One of the things to consider when doing a safety fence, is if you would like to have visibility throughout the fence. Especially if the safety fence is going around a pool, or for a dog run area. You want to be able to have visibility coming into the fenced area, as well as being able to see out from it, too.
- Decorative Fence– Have you always dreamt of a classic white picket fence around your home? That would be a great example of what a decorative fence would be made of. What is nice about decorative fences, is they can add such a homey feeling to your property. It is a good rule of thumb to keep decorative fences shorter without an obtrusive styling.
Other Things to Consider
Before committing to having any fence project beginning on your yard, you need to also consider some of the other following points.
- Property Lines– You want to verify where exactly your property lines are located to avoid any issues of crossing them, and having to redo a fence row because it was not built on your land.
- Your Neighbors– Let your neighbors know what your plans are, as they are still your plans, but it may affect their yard, as well as yours. If they currently don’t have a fence, they may want to consider doing one at the same time. Any fence that is built between your yard and a neighbor’s yard can be a shared expense, which would be an opportunity for you both to save extra money.